Zucchini Bread with Double Chocolate: There is a lot of chocolate goodness with both chocolate chips and cocoa powder added to this zucchini bread. The decadent double chocolate is so good you might even forget it has zucchini. If you are looking for more zucchini bread recipes, make my Blueberry Zucchini Muffins recipe and bake it as a loaf of bread instead of muffins.
This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
This Zucchini Bread with Double Chocolate will make you happy!
The Doctor is in, Doctor Jo that is. Today I have baked up a prescription of double chocolate zucchini happiness. This bread makes me happy. It is super chocolatey, and I love chocolate. It is sooo moist and loaded with chocolate chips. However, I also know that chocolate is used by the body to make serotonin, the happiness neurotransmitter. Even better, I am enjoying my vegetables when I bite into a slice of this zucchini bread. Happiness and vegetables together in the perfect dessert. I’m prescribing a piece today.
What are the ingredients in this zucchini bread?
Chocolate, of course, and zucchini. A word about the zucchini. For this recipe, don’t peel or remove any of the extra moisture from the zucchini. Zucchini is 95% water (WOW).
The zucchini releases most of that water into the bread. So don’t dismay if the batter is thick and dry looking before you add the zucchini. The zucchini water thins the batter to the perfect consistency.
I’ve also replaced the white sugar with maple syrup. The hint of maple goes well with the chocolate, and it is better for you than refined white sugar.
Are you wondering what the espresso powder is doing in this recipe? Wonder no more. Espresso or coffee enhances and intensifies the flavor of chocolate. It only takes a tiny amount. Also, the small amount won’t give your zucchini bread a mocha flavor. All you will taste is the deep, dark, decadent chocolate. I’m so happy!!!
How Do I Make and Bake Zucchini Bread with Double Chocolate?
This is a 5 step recipe:
- Mix the liquid ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients together and add to the liquid ingredients.
- Grate the zucchini and add the zucchini and chocolate chips to the rest of the ingredients in the mixing bowl. Mix all together. Don’t overmix or the center of your loaf will sink during baking.
- Make a parchment sling for your baking pan. (My secret to guarantee a perfect looking loaf every time). Fill the baking pan and bake the zucchini Bread for 55 to 60 minutes or until the center is set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool for 30 minutes, then remove it from the pan using the parchment sling to lift it out. No sticking to the pan guaranteed. Slice and enjoy. I’m off to get me a slice. See you on the next blog with a happy chocolate-induced grin.
How Do I Make a Parchment Sling?
A parchment sling (click here for parchment paper)is the best way to keep your beautiful loaf of zucchini, or any other batter type bread from sticking to the pan it is baked in. Here is how to make one:
- Cut a piece of parchment long enough to cover the two long sides and bottom of the pan with 1 inch extra on each end.
- Spray the baking pan with nonstick baking spray and stick the parchment into the baking pan. Leave 1 inch sticking up over the top of the pan. This will act as a handle when it is time to remove the baked loaf from the pan.
- Spray the parchment with more spray before filling with the bread batter and then add the batter to the pan.
- For this recipe, the batter should only half fill the pan before baking.
- Once the loaf is baked, let it cool for about 30 minutes, loosen the ends that aren’t covered with parchment, and simply lift your loaf out of the pan using the ends of the parchment as handles.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply to you by name.
Zucchini Bread with Double Chocolate
- 9 X 5 loaf pan
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup maple syrup (59 ml)
- ½ cup vegetable oil (118ml)
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar (142g)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp espresso powder(optional)
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa (21g)
- 1½ cup chocolate chips (255g)
- 1½ cups shredded zucchini (240g)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour (180g)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Prepare the loaf pan by spraying it with non-stick spray and then lining the long sides and bottom with parchment paper. The parchment paper forms a sling. spray again. This ensures the baked loaf will be easy to remove from the baking pan and the parchment.
- Mix together the eggs, vegetable oil, brown sugar, and vanilla and maple syrup
- Mix together in a separate bowl the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, espresso powder, and unsweetened cocoa
- Add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture and gently stir to mix in. Do not overmix. There will be some lumps.
- Gently fold in the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips. Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55 - 60 minutes or until the center is set and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven when done and cool for 30 minutes before removing from the pan. To remove from the pan. Run a knife along the ends and lift out of the pan using the parchment sling to lift it out of the pan.