Vegan stuffed peppers with plant-based protein are easy to make, healthy, and good clean eating. Packed with protein and whole grains.
When Farmer Fred heard I was making Vegan Stuffed Peppers for dinner, he wanted to know what I was going to make for him to eat. I said the Vegan Stuffed Peppers. He is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. So anything with wild rice and vegan sausage does not rank as a food. However, when he tasted them, his response was I can’t tell the difference. That is how much like real meat these new plant-based proteins are.
Ingredients for Vegan Stuffed Peppers
Start with 4 fresh, beautiful rainbow bell peppers. Defrost or purchase 1/2 lb of plant-based sausage and 1/2 pound of burger plant-based protein. There are several ones in grocery stores. There is no need to shop at a high-end gourmet grocery store to find these products. Check the frozen meat case as that is where they usually are.
Cook up a cup of whole grains: Brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, or bulgar wheat. Combine a couple of grains. I mixed some wild rice with the brown rice for these vegan stuffed peppers. You will need a total of 2 cups of cooked grains.
Onion, garlic, and Italian style stewed tomatoes round out the list of ingredients. An optional ingredient is cheese—either vegan or dairy-based depending on your preference.
How to Make the Vegan Stuffed Peppers:
Preheat the oven to 400-degrees F.
Cook the grains. Start with one cup total of the uncooked grains. You want 2 cups of cooked grains. So depending on which grain you use, you may need more than one cup.
Saute the burger and sausage until brown and crumbly. Add the onion and cook a few minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
Mix everything together and stuff into the peppers. Be sure you remove the seeds and membranes from the peppers before stuffing.
.If you are a traditionalist, cover the peppers with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour.
I discovered the peppers will be ready to eat sooner if they are first microwaved. To microwave, cover the stuffed peppers with another baking dish or a plate and microwave for 15 minutes. Then add the cheese on top and bake in the preheated oven another 15 – 20 minutes until the peppers are soft and the cheese is melted.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment so I can reply to you by name.
Vegan Stuffed Peppers
- baking dish 9 X 9 inch
- 4 bell peppers any color
- ½ lb plant-based mild or spicy sausage
- ½ lb plant based burger
- 2 cups mixture of brown and wild cooked rice
- 2 cups Italian style stewed tomatoes(liquid drained )
- 1 diced medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 cup grated Italian style mixture of cheese (optional)
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese(optional)for topping
- preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook a mixture of brown and wild rice according to package instructions. It is ok if rice is a little chewy as it will cook more while baking.
- While the rice is cooking, Saute the plant-based protein sausage and burger until brown and crumbly. 8 - 10 minutes
- Add the onions and saute until onions are translucent. 3- 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant
- Put the sauteed plant-based protein, cooked rice, and tomatoes in a bowl and mix together.
- Add the optional cheese and mix in. If you are vegan, skip the cheese or use vegan cheese.
- Prepare the peppers for stuffing by cutting off their tops and removing the membranes and seeds. Place them upright in a greased baking dish.
- Stuff each pepper with ¼ of the mixture.
- Cover with a large plate and microwave for 15 minutes, uncover and add an additional optional 2 tbsp of cheese on top and bake in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes more or until peppers are tender.