Vegan sausage, peppers, and onions. Yes, it’s VEGAN – Beyond Sausage, a plant-based gluten-free, soy-free sausage that looks and cooks like real Italian sausage. This vegan sausage is mildly spice and, in my opinion, doesn’t quite taste like the real thing. However, it is an excellent substitute for my vegetarian and vegan friends and family.
SIS - Simple is Smart Tip
Neuro Nutrition Nugget - Red Peppers
Red bell peppers are not only delicious, but they also offer numerous health benefits, particularly for the brain. One of the reasons why red bell peppers are good for the brain is because they are rich in antioxidants. These antioxidants help protect the brain from damage caused by free radicals, which are unstable molecules that can cause oxidative stress and lead to cognitive decline. Additionally, red bell peppers contain high levels of vitamin C, which is known to support brain health. Vitamin C helps boost the production of neurotransmitters, which are essential for proper brain function and communication between brain cells. Furthermore, red bell peppers are a good source of vitamin B6 and folate, both of which play a crucial role in maintaining cognitive function and reducing the risk of cognitive decline. In conclusion, incorporating red bell peppers into your diet can be beneficial for your brain health due to their antioxidant content and high levels of vitamins C, B6, and folate.
What is in Vegan Sausage, Peppers, and Onions?
Most of my family is vegetarian or vegan. When Beyond Meat introduced their plant-based protein meat substitutes, I couldn’t wait to try them out. It took a while for the different meat substitutes to make their way into my local supermarket. But, a couple of days ago, I spotted this package of Beyond Sausage, hot Italian style. SCORE – Sausage, peppers, and onions for dinner tonight. Much to Farmer Fred’s dismay. Farmer Fred loves meat for every meal.
This recipe is quick and simple with, you guessed it, sausage, pepper, and onions in an Italian tomato base. Done.
How Do I Make Vegan Sausage Peppers and Onion?
The short answer is easy!
- Cut up the sausage into slices and saute them in a heavy duty fry pan. Once the sausage is browned, remove the sausage from the pan.
- Then saute the onion in the oil that is left in the pan. Repeat with the peppers.
- Add the sausage and onions back into the frying pan.
- Some recipes add Italian seasoning, and the dish is done, I add a jar of my home-canned Italian style tomatoes. However, a can of Italian style plum tomatoes is almost as good.Pulse the tomatoes in a blender a few times before adding them to the sauteed sausage, peppers, and onions. Simmer until heated through, and your vegan sausage, peppers, and onions are ready to serve.
Can I Makie it Ahead and Freeze it?
Vegan sausage, peppers, and onions can be made ahead and frozen. Defrost overnight and reheat. Leftovers make a delicious sausage and peppers grinder on a hard roll.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment so I can reply to you by name.
Vegan Sausage, Peppers, and Onions with Beyond Sausage
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- 1½ onions medium
- 3 peppers medium red, yellow, or orange
- 4 sausages beyond meat sausage
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 cups canned tomatoes Italian style with onions, celery, and peppers
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Slice the beyond sausage into 1/2 inch coins and saute until brown. Remove from the pan
- While sausage is browning, slice the onions, and saute them in the oil left in the pan after browning the sausage. Saute until translucent. Remove from the pan.
- Slice the peppers and add to the pan. Saute until just tender but not soft.
- Once the peppers are tender add the onions and sausage back into the pan
- Sprinkle with the flour, add the tomatoes and Italian seasoning. If the tomatoes are whole chop them or blend briefly in a blender.
- Heat until hot through.