This rich, buttery caramel sauce has a hint of sea salt. It is the perfect addition to ice cream, apple pie, coffee, and bread pudding. It takes very little time to make and is easy enough to make a batch at the last minute. You can use it for Caramel Apple Cookies. Also, try my Loaded Caramel Apple Nachos.
I ran out of my caramel sauce the other day and needed some for the Mini Apple Tarts I was making. I decided I would give the store-bought sauce a try. Big mistake, it was thin, runny, and tasted like watered-down corn syrup. I realized how much better homemade is, and promptly got out the kettle and made up a batch. The sauce I bought went in the garbage.
This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
How To Make Caramel Sauce
Caramel sauce is sooo easy to make. The main ingredients are butter, brown sugar, and heavy cream. The sauce takes about 10 minutes to make. Melt the butter in a heavy bottom saucepan, add the brown sugar and corn syrup. The corn syrup will help prevent sugar crystals from forming in the sauce. Cook until the sauce thickens. It takes about 2-3 minutes.
Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in vanilla and sea salt. The sauce will foam up. Add the heavy cream and whisk together. I love the salted caramel flavor. However, if you aren’t a fan, skip the sea salt.
Let the sauce cool somewhat and pour it into a glass jelly jar for storing in the fridge. The sauce will thicken when cooled. If the caramel sauce is too thick, microwave for 15-30 seconds and mix in 1 -2 tablespoons of heavy cream.
Once you have tasted how GOOD it is, you might not have any leftovers to store. That’s it! Enjoy.
Pop on over to my social media sites, where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment so I can reply to you by name.
So Easy Caramel Sauce
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp corn syrup light
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- To adjust the portions, click on the number of serving, and a slider will pop up. Adjusting the slider up or down will automatically calculate the amount needed for each ingredient.
- Melt the butter over medium heat, then add the brown sugar and corn syrup
- While stirring gently, cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes until the mixture thickens. and is a nice caramel color.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, salt, baking soda.
- Gently whisk in the heavy cream.
- Let cool slightly and pour into a glass jar. Store in the refrigerator