Potato Salad: Red White and Blue is the perfect addition to your summer or 4th of July BBQ. Recipe includes a Vegetarian version. The recipe is simple and easy to make, creamy and delicious. Serve with my Best BBQ Chicken.
What Do I Need For This Potato Salad?
This recipe is a favorite from my childhood. My mom would dig the early baby potatoes and make this easy, creamy potato salad. She never made the red, white, and blue potato salad because we only planted red and white potatoes. Blue potatoes were unheard of back then. However, the baby red and white potatoes made a delicious salad.
It is Springtime here in New York, and the red, white, and blue fingerling potatoes I planted back in April are the perfect size for this potato salad.
This recipe has red, white, and blue baby potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, and scallions. I added Bacon for Farmer Fred. If you are vegetarian, use the imitation bacon bits instead
How Do I Make This Potato Salad?
- Cut the larger potatoes in half or quarters. Leave the bite-size potatoes whole. Boil in salted water until fork tender Drain and set aside to cool.
- While the potatoes are cooking, fry up the scallions, the bacon, and hard boil the eggs.
- Peel and chop the eggs.
- Make the dressing by combining the sour cream, mayonnaise, and mustard.
- Put it all together. Add all of the ingredients to the potatoes, stir to mix, and garnish with some chopped chives.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Potato Salad: Red, White, and Blue can be made a day ahead and refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Optional add-ins can include diced celery, diced red sweet peppers, or 3-4 diced radishes
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment so I can reply to you by name.
Potato Salad: Red, White, and Blue
- 1½ lbs potatoes (675 grams) equal amounts of baby red, white, and blue potatoes
- 4 eggs large, hard boiled
- 1/3 cup sour cream (76 grams)
- ½ cup mayonnaise (113g)
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 bunch scallions diced
- ½ lb bacon (225g) substitute 1/4 cup imitation bacon bits for vegetarian
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp chives chopped
- Cut the potatoes in half or leave whole if small enough. Boil the potatoes in salted water until fork tender. Drain and put in a mixing bowl.
- Boil, peel, and chop the eggs.
- While potatoes are cooking. Fry the bacon until crispy.
- Saute the chopped scallions until tender.
- Make the dressing by mixing together the sour cream, mayonnaise, and mustard. If Vegan use the dairy free sour cream and vegonnaise.
- Assemble the salad.: To the cooked potoes add the eggs, cooked scallions, bacon or imitation bacon and dressing. Stir to mix, add salt and pepper to taste, Garnish with chopped chives.