Over the Top Peanut Butter Cookies are the ultimate cookie for peanut butter lovers. The cookie starts with a peanut butter dough loaded up with peanut butter chips. Once the cookie is baked, more peanut butter chips are melted and spread on top. Then the whole cookie is topped with chopped-up Reese’s peanut butter cups. So much yummy peanut butter in one cookie. More peanut butter desserts; Peanut Butter Mousse Brownie Cups. and Peanut Butter Balls.
This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
SIS Simple is Smart Tip:
To make a thick soft cookie roll the cookie dough in a cylinder and set the cylinder on end. The cookie takes longer to “melt” and will flatten less. Alternately you can freeze the cookie for 15 minutes before baking.
I’ve made triple chocolate cookies and brownies, and cake but I’ve never made a triple peanut butter dessert. Actually, now that I think about it this peanut butter cookie has four peanut butters. Peanut butter and peanut butter chips in the dough. Melted peanut butter chips on top with a topping of chopped-up peanut butter cups. WOW, a new personal record for the most peanut butter in a dessert. The best part, it is one of the yummiest cookies I’ve made.
Besides Peanut Butter here is what you will need to make these Peanut Butter Cookies.
This cookie starts with my basic peanut butter recipe.
Sugar – Granulated and brown sugar
Butter – unsalted butter is best. The butter should be room temp.
Egg – large
Flour – all-purpose
Leavening Agents – baking powder and baking soda.
Corn Starch – Corn starch in a cookie helps it stay soft and puffy.
Peanut Butters – smooth peanut butter, peanut butter chips, Reese’s peanut butter cups. For the peanut butter chips I used Reeses.
Steps for Making the Peanut Butter Cookie:
- Cream the butter and sugars together with a mixer.
- Add the vanilla and egg. Mix in
- Add all the dry ingredients and mix in on medium with a stand mixer or hand mixer.
- Fold in the peanut butter chips by hand.
- Use a medium-size cookie scoop to form the cookies. This is a 2 Tbsp. Scoop. Place the cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Freeze the cookies for 20 minutes and then bake in a 350-degree oven for 9-10 minutes. Rotate the pan halfway through baking.
Storing the Peanut Butter Cookies:
Store at room temp in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
Freeze for up to six months. Defrost in the fridge before serving.
Pop on over to my social media sites, where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. After the recipe, the comment section is down at the end of the blog. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply by name.
Over The Top Peanut Butter Cookies
- NOTE: To CONVERT TO METRIC UNITS click the word METRIC at the end of the ingredient list.
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- 1 Cookie Baking Sheets
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup Reeses Peanut Butter Chips
- 1½ cups Reeses Peanut Butter Chips
- ½ cup roughly chopped Reese's peanut butter cups
- 1 tsp vegetable shortening or oil.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F 170°C
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter, brown and white sugar, and peanut butter together in a Stand Mixer.
- Add the vanilla extract and egg, and mix.
- Add the flour, baking soda, corn starch, baking powder, and salt. Mix together on medium for about 1 minute or until the flour disappears.
- Fold in the peanut butter chips.
- With a medium cookie dough scoop; scoop out 24 cookies and slightly flatten them to be about an inch thick.
- Freeze the cookies for 20 minutes before baking.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 9-10 minutes rotating the pan halfway through the baking.
- Let cookies cool completely.
- Melt the Reeses peanut butter chips with the shortening. Melt in 30-second intervals and stir after every 30 seconds. Continue melting and stirring until you have a smooth consistency.
- Use a spoon to spoon the melted chips on top of the cookies and spread across the top of the cookie.
- Add the chopped Reeses peanut butter cups.