Butternut Squash Bread With Chocolate: Who would believe that butternut squash could be this yummy. It is hard to tell there is squash in this bread. The squash adds a little hard to define deliciousness and texture, making this loaf of butternut squash bread incredibly delicious.
Farmer Fred harvested the butternut squash the other day. I was standing downstairs staring at several dozen squashes, pondering how I would use them up before next Spring. That’s right – in the right conditions – butternut squash will keep 8 or 9 months. What are those conditions? A cool, dry area, an unheated garage or basement are ideal.
Back to the original ponderings. What the heck am I going to do with all of these squash? Hmm, let’s see, there is Herb Roasted Butternut Squash. One of my favorite dishes, Gnocchi with Roasted Butternut Squash, and another delicious dish that uses butternut squash is Butternut Squash Ravioli.
Hmmm, I have 3 main dishes, how about something different like Butternut Squash Bread with Chocolate. Oh, Yea!!! Let’s Make It!!!
What Are The Ingredients in Butternut Squash Bread with Chocolate?
This uses a basic nut bread type of recipe for the base. What makes it extra yummy is the double chocolate. It has Cocoa powder as well as chocolate chips. Double chocolate makes for double yummy in this bread. Heat a piece of bread in the microwave, and the chocolate chips turn the bread into a slice of lava cake. HEAVENLY!
Time to Make and Bake:
Here is my SIS (simple is smart) tip for making sure your loaf of “batter bread” never sticks in the loaf pan again. Make a parchment sling for the loaf pan. Your bread will lift out simply and easily every time, and I mean EVERY time!
If the thought of bright orange butternut squash shreds throughout the bread sounds lovely, then add the grated squash raw. If you have a couple of kids that will go EEEW what is that orange stuff? Microwave the squash and add it as a puree. Both ways work equally well in the final product.
Lastly, make sure the bread is baked. This bread takes a minimum of an hour to bake, so don’t rush it. When a toothpick comes out clean and the top springs back when gently tapped, the loaf is done.
CUT – EAT – REPEAT.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments.The comment section is down at the end of the blog, after the recipe. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply to you by name.
Butternut Squash Bread With Chocolate
- 9 X 5 loaf pan
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup maple syrup (59 ml)
- ½ cup vegetable oil (118ml)
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar (142g)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp espresso powder(optional)
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa (21g)
- 1½ cup chocolate chips (255g)
- 1½ cups shredded butternut squash (240g)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour (180g)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Peel and grate the butternut squash. The shredded squash can be used in this recipe or if you want to totally disguise the squash, microwave it for 30-minutes, mash it, and let it cool before adding it to the recipe.
- Prepare the loaf pan by spraying it with non-stick spray and then lining the long sides and bottom with parchment paper. The parchment paper forms a sling. spray again. This ensures the baked loaf will be easy to remove from the baking pan and the parchment.
- Mix together in a bowl the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, espresso powder, and unsweetened cocoa and set aside.
- Mix together the eggs, vegetable oil, brown sugar,vanilla, maple syrup, and mashed butternut squash. Mix well. If you want to add the grated squash uncooked wait to add it until the end.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and gently stir to mix in. Do not overmix. There will be some lumps.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips and shredded butternut squash if you want to add it in raw. Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55 - 60 minutes or until the center is set and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven when done and cool for 30 minutes before removing from the pan. To remove from the pan. Run a knife along the ends and lift out of the pan using the parchment sling to lift it out of the pan.